Welcome to the America's ToothFairy Parents Corner!
Did you know that oral health is directly linked to your child's overall systemic health? Poor oral health can lead to painful infections, malnutrition, sleep deprivation and lifelong health problems. America's ToothFairy believes that every child deserves a healthy smile and we would like to help you ensure optimal oral health for your child! We have Tips from the ToothFairy, fun ToothFairy 101 educational activities and more!
Tips from the ToothFairy
Here are tips (in English and Spanish below) to help your family maintain a healthy smile!
A few tips from the ToothFairy:
- Parents and caregivers can share tooth decay causing bacteria when they clean their child's pacifier or bottle nipple by placing it in their mouths or when they share a child's food and drink. Clean bottle nipples and pacifiers in warm, soapy water and avoid sharing food and drinks with your children.
- Beginning at birth, clean infant gums with a damp cloth or soft toothbrush and warm water after each feeding and check your child's gums/teeth daily.
- Encourage children to drink water, not juice, in between feedings and never put a bottle or sippy cup in the crib with anything but water.
- Children learn by example, brush and floss your teeth with them to encourage good oral health habits.
- Check out products with xylitol as an alternative to sugar-laden sweets!
- Have your child create a calendar to track good oral health practices. Post the calendar in the bathroom and reward children with a gold star or happy face for each day of great oral care! Help get your child excited about their next dental visit by bringing the calendar with you to show the dentist.
- Brush and floss twice a day. If instructed by your dentist, introduce a fluoride rinse to offer extra protection for children ages six or older.
Click the blue buttons below to download a full list!
Did You Know?
Baby teeth play an important role in speech development, a child's appearance and facial structure, nutrition and ensuring that permanent teeth erupt in their normal positions. Although baby teeth are eventually replaced with permanent teeth, it is essential to keep them healthy. Decay and infection in baby teeth can cause damage to developing permanent teeth.
Make Dental Visits Fun
- Regular dental visits will enable your child to develop a sense of familiarity and comfort with the dental team and practice as well as provide vital preventive care necessary for a healthy smile.
- Reading can have a soothing and calming effect on your child. Bring their favorite book to read to them during their dental appointment.
- Let your child wear a costume on their dental visit. This special treat can help them view going to the dentist as a fun activity.
- Allow your child to bring their favorite toy or blanket with them on their dental visit to give them an added sense of security and comfort.
Make oral health fun! Singing a song can help your child remember good oral health practices. Using a brush chart can help them get excited about taking good care of their teeth each day.
Check out these fun activities to do with your child that encourage healthy behaviors and good oral hygiene habits!
Don't forget to join the America's ToothFairy Kids Club! It is FREE and members receive fun activities, tips and personalized letters from the ToothFairy!
Take the ToothFairy Challenge!
This is a great opportunity to teach your child the importance of early philanthropy and where the ToothFairy gets all of her money! Participate in one of our turnkey fundraising campaigns, such as:
- Race for the ToothFairy- participate in a walk, marathon, 5K, cycling, or adventure race
- Trick or Treat for America’s ToothFairy
- Tee Off for the ToothFairy Golf Tournament
- Tip the ToothFairy
- Tea with the ToothFairy
Create a ToothFairy Challenge Event to raise money for America’s ToothFairy:
- Softball or Bowling Tournament
- Auction or Raffle
- Car Wash
- Bake Sale
- Birthday Donations
- Party with a Purpose- Holiday Party, Birthday Party
- Garage Sale
- Ideas especially for kids!
- Lemonade Stand
- Talent Show