WHO: America’s ToothFairy: National Children’s Oral Health Foundation was formed in 2006 in Charlotte, NC, to ensure every child has a healthy smile. We work to increase access to dental care by being a resource provider for non-profit clinics and community partners delivering dental education, preventive services and treatment for underserved children.
WHAT: America’s ToothFairy is hosting Smile Drive Charlotte to raise awareness of the importance of dental health and collect toothbrushes and toothpaste for youth in need during the month of February, National Children’s Dental Health Month. Funds to seed the campaign with 30,000 toothbrushes were received from #GivingTuesdayCLT in partnership with SHARE Charlotte. With nearly 50,000 children living in poverty in Mecklenburg County, America’s ToothFairy wants to ensure every child in need has the opportunity to receive a new toothbrush by March 20, World Oral Health Day.
WHY: Though it is nearly 100% preventable, pediatric dental disease is the most common chronic childhood illness in the U.S. More than 25 million children in the U.S. suffer from tooth decay, some in pain so severe they have difficulty eating, sleeping, speaking and concentrating in school. All products collected through Smile Drive Charlotte will be distributed to Title 1 Schools, non-profit organizations and agencies in Charlotte addressing the needs of underserved children.
Please join us for the following community events:
- Wednesday, February 1, 6am-10am: Smile Drive Thru. America’s ToothFairy will host a Smile Drive Thru in the parking lot of SouthPark Mall near Symphony Park. During this time, the community is asked to drive thru and drop off toothbrushes and toothpaste for Charlotte’s children in need.
- Thursday, February 2, 6pm-8pm: Community-wide Kickoff Event at Three Spirits Brewery*
- Monday, February 6 and EVERY MONDAY in February: NoDa Brewing Company will donate 1 toothbrush for every pint of beer sold*
- Wednesday, February 8: Smile Drive CLT Day at Legion Brewing*
- Thursday, February 16: Smile Drive CLT Day at Red Clay Ciderworks*
- Tuesday, February 28: Sycamore Brewing Final Smile Drive Charlotte Day*
*These sites have volunteered to be product collection sites for toothbrushes and toothpaste throughout the month of February. Please stop by for a drink and donate toothbrushes and toothpaste for kids in our community!
PRODUCT COLLECTION SITES
Looking for a place to drop off donated toothbrushes and toothpaste during February? Please see below. More are being added each week! Interested in becoming a product collection site? Please complete this brief form.
- America’s ToothFairy Office: 4108 Park Rd., Suite 300
- Horack Talley: One Wells Fargo Center, 2600, 301 S College St,
- Legion Brewing: 1906 Commonwealth Ave.
- Mecklenburg County Public Defender’s Office: 700 East 4th Street
- NoDa Brewing Company: 2921 N. Tryon St.
- Plaza Midwood Dentistry: 1308-F The Plaza
- Red Clay Ciderworks: 245 Clanton Rd.
- Solstice Tavern: 3221 N.Davidson St.
- Sycamore Brewing: 2161 Hawkins St.
- Three Spirits Brewery: 5046 Old Pineville Rd.
- Wells Fargo: 300 S. Brevard Street Floor 14
Media: Amber Holloway, Communications Director, email@example.com, 704-817-5645
Community Partnerships/Volunteers: Shannon Weatherly, Director of National Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 704-817-5651
SPECIAL THANKS TO